Thursday, October 23, 2008

Anand, Kramnik, Susan Polgar and WCC 2008

I found a fantastic blog where Susan Polgar is giving live expert comments on the ongoing World Chess Championship 2008 games between Anand and Kramnik. During her comments, she gives an advice or two which can help an average player like me a lot.

Her one comment was that when Queens are off chess board, it is well known that Kings should come into play. I'll remember this. It makes sense, kings can move in all directions like a queen (though just one square) and with queens off the chess board, the danger is much reduced.

Another thing she told was that when you can't think of a plan, make logical moves.

It really an 'aha moment' for me! I always have this problem, that in the middle of a chess game, I can't think of a plan to defeat my opponent. I am simply clueless as to how to proceed to capture the enemy king! It seems even GMs have this problem!!

What I understand now is: it's okay if you can't think of a plan as of now. Just make moves for the time being that ensure you do not blunder and that they generally make your position better or at least not worse. After few such moves perhaps you will see the light and a game plan may appear, or hopefully the opponent may blunder!

Here is a link that promises to improve your game tremendously and is worth a look.

Such small but important 'thumb rules' can go a long way in winning more chess games.

No comments:

Post a Comment